Mikio Masuda - Part 3

Back today for our next installment for Mikio Masuda. We've entered the 80s which is where I typically lose interest but Mickey has some redeemable music from the decade - and some that's not of much interest. 

First up we have an album that alluded me for a long time. I finally broke down and bought and ripped the vinyl. Noticed yesterday that 1980's Silver Shadow is now on streaming which I may have overlooked all this time. Either way, this is another one I really dig. My rip ended up having some quality issues so I found another version to share here. Joining Mickey we have Toshiyuki Honda on alto sax and flute, personal favorite Shunzo Ohno on trumpet and Takayuki Kato on guitar. Mickey used 2 different bassists, Osamu Kawakami and Kenji Takamizu, with percussionist Masato Kawase and drummer Louis de Andrade. All originals here outside of Joe Henderson tune "Inner Urge."

First up we have "My Delight" and to be honest, the beginning of the track made me wonder how this album was going to turn out. It and the following title track both start off sounding very 1980s. "All About You" is a quick ballad before we get to the best parts of this album, starting with "Goody-Goody." The best tune here might be "Sonic Barrier" which has a great tempo and features some of Mickey's best playing on the album. After another slow one in "Little Waltz" we have the Henderson tune "Inner Urge" which features great playing from Ohno and Mickey on synthesizer. We close this one with "Blue Sky" which has a smooth, beachy vibe to it. 

Next for us is the 1981 release on the Zen label, Mickey Finn. Lending Mickey support this time around we again have guitarist Takayuki Kato, bassist Tatsuhiko Hizawa, percussionist Tatsuji Yokoyama and drummer Kazuyoshi Harada. 

All originals from Masuda here and while this one is starting to sound a bit more 1980s, it isn't entirely uninteresting yet. This one starts off with a nice tempo in the title track followed by another relatively uptempo tune in "Skippin' High." Next and last highlight for me would be the tune "Sunrise" which sounds more like what we heard on the late 70s albums. 

Mickey's next release came the following year in 1982 on the Invitation label. And that is about all I have to say for Chi Chi. I've included it hear for completeness but this is a low effort, easy listening album, in my opinion. A couple of tracks have a pulse but for the most part this is forgettable music. 

The same can basically be said for his next release 2 years later with Mariko Hiraga. Twilight features vocals throughout from both Mariko and Mickey. I'll be honest, I couldn't finish this one. I will include the instrumentals I made although they turned out just OK. Just not for me.

See you next time for our final post on Mikio Masuda. Enjoy!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Arakawa Band

Kohsuke Mine

Isao Suzuki Part 2