Thursday, May 23, 2024

Art Webb

While listening to Teruo Nakamura's Unicorn album, I really enjoyed the keys from Hubert Eaves III. While I'm still hunting for his lone solo album, Esoteric Funk, I did learn that he was also on Love Eyes from flautist Art Webb

Unfamiliar with Art Webb, I decided to do a little digging and found Love Eyes and Mr. Flute, both released on Atlantic in 1977. I would describe both albums as having elements of soul jazz and jazz-funk. Maybe even starting to flirt with boogie/disco a little bit, especially on Mr. Flute. Great tempo all around.

Love Eyes is listed as being released first and depending on the day, is the best album of the two. Again we have a massive list of personnel so I'll leave you guys to check the link if you want a full breakdown. There are a few tracks with some limited vocals and I did go ahead and make some instrumentals. 

Hard to pick favorites on this one because it's fantastic start to finish, in my opinion. "Free", "Devotion" and "Pyramids" would be quick choices. Although "Flute Magic" is also very nice. Great vibes throughout on this one.


As mentioned, Webb released another album the same year. 
Mr. Flute also features a wide variety of players that can be found on the link. Again there are a few with minimal vocals and I've included instrumentals for them, although hardly necessary.

This one jumps right out of the gate with the opening title track which is followed by "Dobie." Next up is the excellent tune "Good Times In Life" and honestly the remaining tunes are also fantastic. Webb really didn't miss on either of these albums. I hope you guys dig them as much as I have. 



3 comments:

  1. https://www.idrive.com/idrive/sh/sh?k=n4f9g2b1w3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Unfortunately, no. Been hunting for it with no luck.

      Delete