Thursday, June 27, 2024

Sunao Wada - Blues World (1974)

Hey again. Gonna squeeze another quick post in today as I leave for vacation tomorrow. I was working on a deep dive into the Three Blind Mice label and starting hunting for all that I could find. Along the way, I couldn't track down release TBM-25 from guitarist Sunao Wada anywhere. Eventually I found a physical copy and am happy to share it today.

We heard some of Sunao's playing on Coco's Blues and Now's The Time during our look into bassist Isao Suzuki. Released in 1974, Blues World is a 4 tune album, with 2 covers and 2 originals. Obviously a bluesy sound here throughout and joining Sunao we have organist Ushio Sakai, bassist Mitsuaki Furuno and drummer Arihide Kurata. On the closing tune, we also have excellent saxophonist Takao Uematsu.

The meat and potatoes of this one is mostly the 10-minute opening tune "Now See How You Are" and the nearly 20-minute closing, title track. Although all 4 tunes are pretty solid. I especially dig Sakai's playing on the B3, as well as Takao and of course, Sunao plays wonderfully.


I'll be back late next week and have drummer Takeshi Inomata on deck. 

Enjoy!

3 comments: